Day 2 Heroes and Salad - Janruary 10th

Goal #1: Do not feed my dogs grapes. Thanks guys for informing me how terrible grapes are for dogs. Luckily they are smarter than me and stopped eating them, and I thought they were just eying my scrambled eggs... 
Goal #2: Weigh myself once a week in the morning. You may have seen my minor freak out over a 4lb weight fluctuation. Ya ya I know, its water weight. But I got my hopes up. I never broke 118! I'm sure those of your aiming for the opposite end of the scale are rolling your eyes but hey, this up hill battle (haha get my background now?) its not easy being this clever..(insert lame joke eye rolling here).   

Rules:
To clarify the rules of the Roller Derby Workout Challenge you must follow 8 weeks of planned meals and 8 weeks of workouts. The workouts are adaptable to your practice schedule and specific exercises are given if your practices don't cut it, you are training to be a freshie or your in your off season, ect. The meals are not adaptable. No sugar, no bleached anything, no drinks except water, black coffee or black tea (and red wine if you must). RDW says that sugar, alcohol and additives are posion for a healthy body.

Eating:
So can we talk about how today's meal theme so far is cold food? Breakfast Day 2: cottage cheese, a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter and a 1/2 apple. Who eats a 1/2 an apple? The benefit of apples is that they are portable! I found myself starving around 10 am. My lunch, grilled chicken salad with Caesar dressing was better but still cold. My 'salad' consisted of cucumbers, romaine lettuce, broccoli, grilled breaded chicken (that I simultaneously prepared last night while making the wheat pasta with ground turkey sauce dinner) and a boiled egg which I chopped with my fancy new egg chopper courtesy of Shark Week #1987.

Camel Toes:
Terrible camel toe site

For some reason this image continues to pop up in my Google searches this past week. First can we all acknowledge that yes there is a camel toe punching you in the eye. Funny enough I finally went to the site this is posted on to find out what this picture is all about (and if her abs are real!) and the article is titled: Uniform Malfunctions: 10 Awesome Athlete Camel Toes. It does make a roller derby reference which is pretty hilarious but really creepy. I'm not sure whats going on the belly button area or with those freakish stick arms.. really you're a boxer? Your wrists look like they are going to snap off from the weight of your gloves. Well I can get past all that to those abs!! GOAL #3: stronger core. We all know how valuable core strength is in derby. Its pretty much a requirement. I think for smaller people we need a super strong core and upper body. Now that I've had a couple practices with Massacre I immediately noticed that 98% hits I take are to the ribs. These girls are tall and the hits are lined up much higher on my body. Without a strong upper body I completely lose my form and slip to the floor. I pretty much make myself fall down trying to stay upright. Its pretty embarrassing.

Can we talk about my derby heroes?
Maura Buse #34B probably doesn't eat salad for lunch, she eats silver bullets. Not only is she BDDs tiny tot all star, she won second place in DNN's poll for Most Underrated Player



These stills of Buse owning the track are from an awesome hit clip that can be seen on vimeo. While a good number of these hits are illegal its pretty entertaining to watch and reinforces my belief that core and upper body strength are crucial  in taking well planted hits and is imperative to being a wheeled meat machine.

Carolina Rollergirls Best Hits 2009               

Vimeo
Youtube








                                                   
                                               

 Can we talk about Rice Rocket? She is also amazing. I would want to skate like her any day but even as magical as she is, she is a reminder that all of our heroes are mortal. And that if you are small you fly twice as high... and fall twice as long. For those of you who are impatient check out 37 seconds and watch her fall with her full weight on her collar bone (terrifying!) at 51 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment